As a public event at the University of Chicago, we, the Uchi-con staff members, have to ensure many safety standards for all of the guests at Uchi-con. As such, we require that any attendees agree to all of the following rules before being able to participate in the convention; if you have submitted the preregistration form, you have already agree to abide by everything below.
Convention policies, times, dates, etc. are always subject to change.
Violation of any of our policies can result in immediate removal from convention premises.
General Convention Rules
- Badges and/or wristbands must be visibly worn on your person at all times.
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Unattended children will be turned over to University of Chicago Police by the Info Desk in the Ida Noyes Lobby.
- Entry into 18+ events require a valid government-issued ID with your date of birth printed on it. School IDs will only be accepted if they have a DOB on them.
- We are a family-friendly, PG-13 convention. This means:
- No vulgar language, hate speech, or explicit behavior.
- No gore, explicit, or suggestive material displayed on your person.
- Dress code must adhere to the Costume and Prop Policies.
- Do not linger, loiter, sit, take pictures on, or generally clog up the stairway in Ida Noyes.
- Please respect your fellow con-goers:
- Horns and other loud noise-making devices may not be used indoors.
- Cosplay is not consent. Do not touch or take pictures of people without their permission.
- Should a problem ever arise, the following people are on-site to aide you:
- UChi-con volunteer staff (marked by a staff badge).
- University of Chicago Police Department.
- University of Chicago First Aid Medical Staff.
- All federal, state, and local laws, and University of Chicago policies still apply while at uchi-con. These include but are not limited to:
- Do not damage or deface the property.
- Do not take that which is not yours. This includes laptops, kimonos, and pizzas.
- No smoking or illegal drug use is permitted on the premises.
- Enforcement of all policies are at uchi-con staff’s discretion. We have final say over whether a policy has been violated or not. Please respectfully abide by any rulings and requests they make.
Costume and Prop Guidelines
- UChi-con is strictly PG-13 and must abide by University of Chicago event dress codes:
- No nipples or genitalia (real or artificial) can be visible. This applies to all genders.
- Footwear is required. No bare feet, and no footwear that may damage or mark up the hardwood floors of Ida Noyes. This means no ice skates.
- Dress must be fairly visible at a distance on all sides. For example: String bikinis like Yoko from Gurren Lagan or Nami from One Piece are not OK, while conservative sports bikinis with thick straps or bandeaus like Winry Rockbell from Full Metal Alchemist are OK.
- Props and costumes may not inhibit anyone’s path. Costumes must be able to fit within a 32” x 32” x 78” box. We will have an area for size testing at registration.
- All weapons must be either fake, wood, and/or zip-tied shut. All weapons must be peace bonded (marked with a bright ziptie) at Info Desk after registration.
- No live steel.
- No real firearms.
- No props heavy enough to bludgeon someone with.
- The convention is in winter. While we have heating, we do not control the thermostats. Please dress appropriately.
- Please do not swing weapons around.
- Confiscated and illegal props/weapons must be removed from con premises or turned into the Info Desk. Retrieval of these items may be done with a valid ID when you leave the convention.
- Uchi-con staff reserve the right to have final say over the acceptability of any costume or prop.
- If you have concerns over whether your outfit abides by our policies, please feel free to email or Facebook message us in advance.